Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday, 8/11 early

Ah, my last morning in Hawaii. Why couldn't I sleep in past 5:30 am, especially after going to bed around midnight? Who knows. I have been slow getting out of bed, slow moving about, but I have already gone down to renew my parking pass (overnight parking expires at 6 am, which makes sense during the week, but no so much on a Saturday.) However, it is raining, not really a downpour, but a pretty consistent morning drizzle. So now I am back, sitting here typing this last update from Hawaii, before getting ready to shower, pack, and then do stuff until I have to return the car to the airport around 3:30. Who knows exactly what is going to happen later this morning, but I will be gone for about 5 hour or so before I head to the airport.

Yesterday early afternoon was spent running to Manoa marketplace one last time, to get some bread to eat up the last of my cold cuts and some soft drinks. Then it was off to the bus to get to the airport, which took, as I figured it might, closer to 90 minutes than 60. I can see why people just opt for a cab rather than wait for a bus. Once there, the first check in process at Budget went quickly (I beat a shuttle bus) but then you had to go out to the booth in the lot where you picked up the actual keys. However, the car I was assigned they could not find, so I ended up waiting for about 20 minutes before they finally decided to upgrade me and get me out. So instead of a Nissan Sentra I got a Nissan Altima, and since there was a manager there, she cut my daily rate in half. So with insurance (and I figured getting the CDW waiver, now as much as the cost of renting the car) the whole thing should top out around $60 bucks. Since I'll be heading out with some people this morning, they'll probably contribute some of the cash for the car. We shall see.

I also couldn't originally check in for my flight. United said since I was flying with Hawaiian, I had to check in with them, but they use different confirmation numbers. I then found my e-ticket # and I was able to check in that way. They offered me an upgrade to first class for $50, but I am only flying to the Big Island and the flight is 45 minutes. Seems stupid right? However, it comes with two free checked bags and the use of the airport club, and since my checked bags to the mainland would have cost $70 dollars, it was actually a bargain. Hawaiian also issued my boarding passes for the United flights, so I think I am checked in completely. Which means, at least at the moment, that was the greatest bargain I have made so far. No 1st class upgrades on United, but that is okay, I am still in extended economy and that means extra leg room for both legs of the flight.

Well, last night was spent in our final get together at Roger Ames' house. Let me tell you, he lives in Hawaii Kai, about a 30 minute drive from campus, on a hillside, with an excellent view as you can see from the pictures I'll post below. We had some good food, good drinks and some excellent company. Left at 5:30 and returned around 10 pm. I decided not to go out as I was tired and still needed to fix my check in status. Anyway, I am glad I staid home and I feel much more relaxed this morning. LOL at least I am headed to Kona this afternoon at 5:46 HST.

Alright, here are some last pictures for you to enjoy!
Sign in front of the EWC

Last stroll up to the Manoa Valley. Hey it's sunny!

Peter, Stanley, Fred and Roger being silly and greeting people as they enter Roger's house.

Bowing to everyone and greeting them in a mix of Chinese and Japanese.


From Roger's porch or lanai...that's Diamond Head in the distance.



The garden below. The only thing missing is a pool.


Roger's home office: his pride and joy.

His view from his desk is just a little higher up than one of the earlier pics.


There you go...his late afternoon view.

Diamond Head from the other side.

Sunset 1

Then some clouds...

Then a fiery sunset...


Mahalo to one and all for following my blog while I have been gone. I am both wanting to get home and also knowing that in a few days I am going to be missing Hawaii. I think I am going to try and come back to an Infusing Institute in about 2 years or so, depending on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment