Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday, August 10, morning

Just like last time, things have gotten busy as the institute is running towards it's conclusion. Yesterday was an excellent lecture on the future of "sino-capitalism" by one of the most entertaining and informative presenters there have been. Then it was a brief lunch on campus from one of the food trucks I discovered earlier in the week, and then back for my presentation in the afternoon. Mine was at the very end of the session, and while it went well, my beautiful powerpoint presentation did not come across as well as I would have liked. I needed to tweak a few things, but more importantly, the transfer from my Mac to the PC version changed a few things. Oh well...it still went over well.

We then went to get a beer from the campus pub in the so-called Manoa Garden, which turned into a small get-together with about 10 people, including two of the directors. We then all decided we were hungry (and they also kicked us out at 6:15 when they were closing...shortened summer hours!). We decided to go to a Japanese restaurant and it was an interesting family style meal. Not bad in the end for a bunch of different types of sushi, about $44 with tip per person. More than a little relaxed after a few beers with sushi, it was back to the dorm, and we got back around 10:15. I decided it was quiet and therefore the best time to do laundry. Besides, not really tired, it seemed like the best idea and a way to limit the amount of laundry I will need to do when I get home. Especially since I am turning around and heading back out of town on Wednesday. I may not really even unpack all that much.

It's just about 8am at the moment. This morning is the rest of the presentations, then I need to head back to my room briefly before picking up a rental car from the airport (since they don't allow one-way rentals here, i.e. no picking up the car in Waikiki and then returning it to the airport tomorrow). So that should take about an hour and a bit to get there by bus. I should be back around 4 o'clock, which will give me enough time to quickly get ready for the group dinner this evening. The group dinner is our last formal event as part of the workshop. We our expected to be back around 9:30. I think some of the people will likely go out, but I am probably going to come back to the dorms and pack, since checkout is early at 10am tomorrow morning.

Once I am checked out, the plan is to take the rental car and go see part of the island. Maybe head up to the Dole Plantation, or drive around part of the island I haven't seen this trip. Maybe peak in at the new Disney resort, who knows exactly. About 2:30 or so I'll make sure I am headed back to the dorm, then pick up my luggage, change (which was a smart idea two years ago) before heading to the airport to get there by 3:30 or so. Then it's hop my inter-island flight to Kona on the big island at 5:46 pm. 90 minutes later, it's hop on the United flight to Denver, and on Sunday morning, at like 7 am, hoping on the flight from Denver to Orlando. It means I should be in by 1pm-ish, and then home by 2:30, depending on when my luggage arrives and how fast Allyssa and Ryan drive back to Melbourne.

I know a pile of mail awaits me. I'll probably stay at home on Sunday, off to work on Monday and Tuesday, and then I fly out to Indianapolis on Wednesday through Monday. It's going to be a whirlwind 72 hours at home. Anyway, everything after going to class this morning and picking up the rental car is pure speculation, so I'll try to post tomorrow morning before I pack up and go, and then on Sunday or Monday for a final wrap up once I get back to the mainland.


No comments:

Post a Comment